Siborg is now offering a discount until the end of August on all multimeters, testers and accessories in the LCR-Reader store for students, educators and institutions. Discounts apply to quantities purchased.
The sale will apply to LCR-Reader and Smart Tweezers LCR- and ESR-meters, including the Smart Tweezers Bluetooth models and LCR-Reader Pro Task Kits.
The LCR-Reader Pro Task Kit includes a calibrated LCR-Reader LCR- and ESR-meter, a set of bent tweezers probes, spare battery, and NIST traceable calibration certificate. Siborg also offers different task kits for both LCR-Reader and Smart Tweezers devices; each kit combines a different amount of accessories and the price reflects a discount opposed to buying each piece separately.
Smart Tweezers Bluetooth has just been updated to include the ability to send device test signals to the Smart Twezers device. Previous models only allowed the device to send test results to PC or apps for Android and iOS. This new update also allows the ability to set custom profiles from either previously measured values or from scratch. These profiles set a specific parameters for components to meet; when a component is measured, the receiving program either marks it as a pass or fail whether it met the parameters.
Siborg is including their other devices available including:
- LED Test Tweezers that test LEDs and other components using an 12 VDC output and adjustable current rating of 20, 10 and 5 mA. You can also use the device as a set of tweezer-probes for multimeters by connecting it using the included cable.
- SMD Multimeter Test Tweezers connect to most multimeters for tweezer-probe precision.
- LCR-Reader/Smart Tweezers Kelvin Probe Connector is a shielded two-wire connector that allows Smart Tweezers and LCR-Reader devices be used as full probe stations and measure components larger than would fit between the tweezers’ probes. Siborg has recently added fine and extra-fine pin probes for use with the Kelvin Probe Connector.
Students, educators and educational institutes to visit the LCR-Reader Store from March 28th to August 31st, 2017, to get a discount on all LCR-meters, SMD devices and accessories. To qualify for the discount, students are required to show valid school I.D, while teachers can ship to their institutions or provide a P.O number.
Bluetooth enabled Smart Tweezers has been updated to include the ability to receive as well as send information from connected devices. Previous models only allowed data to be sent to PC or apps; now, the device can accept settings using custom profiles.
Based on the best-selling Smart Tweezers ST-5S model with extensive menus and high basic accuracy of 0.2%. This model also offers the ability to automatically record measurement data in real time using PC, tablets or smart phones using iOS or Android. The USB receiver stick is required to connect to PC to be used with NI LabView, Windows’ Smart Tweezes Bluetooth Utility and custom made programs.
Devices are able to create custom profiles using previous measurements or from scratch. These profiles allow users to set parameters that components must measure between in order to pass or fail. The receiving program will mark the results as red or green when or if they meet the specifications. These profiles can include the type of component, primary or secondary values. Profiles can also send the device custom settings like test modes or frequencies that are automatically sent to the device.
Measurement data that is sent can be saved to databases or Excel compatible .csv files. This is essential for tasks where quality control requires all measurement values to be recorded.
The USB receiver stick usees an FTDI bridge that creates a virtual RS232 serial prot for connection.
The new ST5S-BT2 is available in the LCR-Reader Store.
Siborg has added new Fine and Extra-Fine Pin Probes for LCR-Reader/Smart Tweezers Kelvin Probe Connector in the LCR-Reader Store.
The Fine Pin Probe is 124 mm
Both Pin Probes connect using the 4 mm jack plugs included with the Kelvin Probe Connector.
False measurements are when the device shows a measurement while not being in contact with a component. The device will stop showing a measurement value when the tips are removed. False measurements will cause the device to continue displaying a measurement and not turn off, leading to the battery being drained.
There are a few reasons as to why the device is showing a false measurement. This could include the tips being misaligned or shifted during transportation or if the device has been dropped or mishandled. Replacing the tips with a new set may also cause false readings. Generally, these false measurements are caused by metal or plastic debris caught between the tips and arms of the device and can be fixed with these easy steps:
- Start by removing the tips and cleaning the arms with isopropyl and a soft cloth or gauze to remove any extra debris. Reinstall the tips to the device. If the device is still showing a reading, remove the tips and continue to step two.
- Try removing any excess flex cable from in or around the screw-holes. Gently rotate a drill bit by hand or use a Philips head screwdriver that is twice the size of the hole. This will scrape away any extra plastic and gold from the flex cable. The red circles in the image below shows where interference can occur.
- Sometimes bits of metal remain stuck in the threads from assembly. These bits can be removed using a tap or one of the screws to clear the threads. Tighten and remove a few times.
- Cleaning the screws may also help. Sometimes debris can be stuck between the threads.
- If all else fails, make sure there is no metal bits stuck under the flex cable around the screw holes. Very rarely does metal get between these two pieces, but it can create false measurements. Always try scraping away extra flex cable first. Use sharp tweezers to remove any visible metal pieces without tearing or damaging the flex cable.
NOTE: Removing the flex cable will damage the glue and may cause issues when re-adhering the flex cable which can impact the accuracy of the measurements.
- Make sure to clean away any residual plastic or metal using isopropyl and a soft cloth or gauze before reinstalling the tips.
If these steps do not remove the false readings, please contact Siborg Systems Inc.
Siborg is offering up to 20% off their Smart Tweezers and LCR-Reader devices and other SMD testing tools in the LCR-Reader Store and Amazon sales channels. The sale starts on January 18th at 12:00AM and ends on January 31st at 11:59 PM EST. The sale includes LCR-Reader and Smart Tweezers devices, including Bluetooth model and task kits. Siborg is also offering a discount on LED Test Tweezers, Kelvin Probe Connector for Smart Twezers and LCR-Reader, and SMD Multimeter Test Tweezers.
Visit the LCR-Reader Store or Amazon Sales Channels in USA, Canada, and Europe before January 31st for your chance to get up to 20% off!
Starting December 26th, 2016 at 12:00 AM Siborg is offering a discount on LCR-Readers, Smart Tweezers and up to 20% off task kits in the LCR-Reader Store and Amazon Sales channels in USA, Canada and Europe. The sale will end at 11:59PM on December 31st. This sale includes the new LCR-Reader Pro Plus and Smart Tweezers Pro task kits that include the Kelvin Probe Station.
From now until September 30th, 2016, Siborg is offering a 10% discount on all their devices in the LCR-Reader Store and Amazon sales channels. This sale includes all of LCR-Reader and Smart Tweezers devices and task kits, as well as other test tweezers devices, such as the SMD Multimeter Test Tweezers, LED Test Tweezers, and LCR-Reader Probe Connector.
This sale includes the new Smart Tweezers with Bluetooth that allows users to remotely record their measurement results in real time.
Siborg is now offering the Bluetooth enabled Smart Tweezers ST5S-BT in the LCR-Reader Store.
Based on the ST-5S model, the new Smart Tweezers with Bluetooth allows users to remotely record their measurement values in real time using computers or mobile apps. This model offers the same features and functions, including the 0.2% basic accuracy, as the ST-5S.
When connected, ST5S-BT opens a virtual serial port to send data over in a string of comma separated values. This data can be saved into a file or database depending on the receiver software used.
Siborg is offering two separate packages for this model: Smart Tweezers ST5S-BT with Bluetooth Receiver Stick which is essential for using the device with computer, and the Smart Tweezers ST5S-BT without the receiver stick for mobile only connections.
Over the past year, Siborg worked with the Institute of Automation and Electrometry at the Russian Academy of Sciences in creating a new calibration fixture that could handle the complete range of measurements for both Smart Tweezers and LCR-Reader. After completion, Siborg sent the fixture to one of Canada’s leading calibration houses for verification. Once verified, Siborg was able to offer periodic calibration with certificate for LCR-Readers when the device and a certificate were purchased together in the LCR-Reader Store.
Siborg also created new task kits, including the LCR-Reader Professional that included the certificate as well as spare bent tweezer-tips and an extra battery.
Siborg is now offering NIST Traceable Calibration Certificates with every LCR-Reader without any extra cost.
The lack of traceable periodic calibration was a hindrance for professionals that were looking for a tool like Smart Tweezers that offers a certificate, but did not agree with the high price.
Check out the LCR-Reader Store for all Siborg’s offerings:
- LCR-Reader Task Kits: pre-bundled options that offer customers a device and accessories with a lower price than buying each piece separately
- Smart Tweezers ST-5S
- Smart Tweezers ST5S-BT: Bluetooth enabled Smart Tweezers that can record measurement results in real-time
- Smart Tweezers Task Kits
- SMD Multimeter Test Tweezers: add tweezer-like precision to any multimeter
- LED Test Tweezers: Tweezer testing for LEDs, switches, fuses, etc. Comes with a special connector cable that connects the device to a multimeter
- LCR-Reader Probe Connector: Turns LCR-Reader and Smart Tweezers into a probe station for complete PCB probing, as well as extends the abilities of the devices to measure components that would not fit between the tweezers
Siborg has begun offering the Smart Tweezers ST5S-BT in the LCR-Reader Store!
This new model offers all the same features and functions found on the popular Smart Tweezers ST-5S model, but with the added benefit of being able to record all measurement values remotely via Bluetooth.
Using the USB receiver stick, the Smart Tweezers ST5S-BT opens a virtual serial port that can be received by any communication software such as NI LabView® or Tera Term free software. Currently, the USB stick is required for use with computers and NI LabView®; Android devices are able to receive data without. Eventually there will be dedicated apps for iOS, Windows and Android.
This string is explained as: main impedance value and type, secondary value and type, test frequency, test signal level, measurement mode, and 4 reserved values. The photo to the left shows Tera Term receiving data from ST5S-BT. Depending on the software used, the measurement values can be saved to a file, or in cases like NI LabView®, the data can be saved to a database to be processed later.
Based on the popular ST-5S model, the ST5S-BT offers the same features and 0.2% basic accuracy with the added bonus of Bluetooth.
- Automatic and manual L, C, R, ESR, D, Q and Z measurements
- 0.2% basic accuracy
- Variable tolerances of 1%, 5%, 10%, and 20%
- Continuity/diode/short testing
- NIST Traceable calibration certificate
- Extensive menus for customized measurements
- 1 oz. weight
- Li-Ion battery with micro-USB charging
- Bright OLED display
- 4-way navigation button
Siborg is offering 2 different packages in the LCR-Reader Store for Smart Tweezers ST5S-BT; one with the USB receiver stick and one without.
Please note when purchasing: the receiver stick is required for use with computers and some software.